Got a scoop or want to join us? Reach out to me via DMs on Twitter or in the Vagobond Discord.
If your email has truncated this briefing – see the entire briefing at https://vagobond.com/
April 21, 2022
GM and Aloha Frens,
There are times, I just want to pick up all my toys and go home from the NFT space. It all feels a little bit too much right now. It’s really hard not to just liquidate and celebrate – probably the thing that keeps me from doing it is that I’m waiting to have held my assets for a full year so I don’t have to pay short term capital gains on them – in the meantime – it’s sort of nerve racking waiting and watching.
The NFT travel space is so immature and so new – but I really do think that it has more potential than virtually anything else. It just makes so much sense to pair NFTs with real world travel experiences and payment. Still, I’m amazed every week when I look and see how few companies or projects are jumping into this. My own experiment with selling my Vanagon photography attached with tours has yielded no sales yet. If it were a more mechanically sound vehicle, I might consider making each NFT a ticket to use it for the night as an accommodation or (‘rental’) vehicle. The truth is though – if it’s more than a day or two #vanlife sucks. I’m 99% certain that I was the first to use the hashtag #vanlife on my old Rough Living Blog back in 2007-8. It doesn’t matter, someone else used it and proved to be a great marketer with it. Now there are probably a bunch of people out there that are blaming him as they think “I wish I didn’t live in a fucking van.”
I would say the greed index is approaching an all time high in the NFT space. We’re due for a big ugly reckoning. It might come next month or it might come next year – but it has to come at some point. As a result, I’m going to start including crypto travel projects and tokens in the Thursday NFT/Crypto Travel section. Also, I’m going to be taking a little micro-step back from spending so much time in the NFT space and will start to focus more and more on meeting up with real life people in real life spaces in real time. Part of this will be travel and part of it will be crypto. I’m going to start doing an Aloha Friday Beat that will focus on Hawaii projects in the crypto, blockchain, NFT, and defi space – and may start to highlight some of the great cultural and entrepreneurial stuff here as well over time. Watch for the first issue to be released tomorrow.
Buy or Read Today’s Briefing as an NFT:
Travel NFT Projects (& Food!)
Updated Thursdays – See latest at https://vagobond.com/nft-101/the-travel-food-nft-beat-updated-thursdays/
News and Info on Travel NFTs
SuperLocal – https://pass.superlocal.com/ NFT gated travel app where users can mint locations as NFTs. SuperLocal is available in App Stores now. I highly recommend it. Also – when you download it follow me – Username: CD Vagobond. First $LOCAL airdrop is coming soon.
- Local Trotter NFTs are still available to mint and art is revealed now https://hello.superlocal.com/
- Mayorship NFTs are mintable.
- This is a real company with a real product and a huge and growing community. This is my strongest conviction bet in the travel NFT world. There is a strong userbase and active community on the app as well as in the Discord.
- Improved invite system coming and as soon as I can invite all of you to the app, I will.
We’ve unexpectedly started to see a big lift in people in Japan using Superlocal. Now I’m starting to become obsessed with the design of Japanese signage and storefronts. pic.twitter.com/gMPFMovdjg
— Alex Kehr (@alexkehr) April 16, 2022
Elysium – https://elysiumclub.io/ Twitter: @elysiumclubnft Instragram: @elysiumclubnft Youtube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWCCPh-B5Xy5gmjtMQ8nH3A OS – https://opensea.io/collection/elysiumclubnft
- I’m still unsure about this. I want to believe, but then, I want to believe in every aspirational project.I spent way more than I should have to buy into the ecosystem – which may end up being a good decision – but the floor seems to hover between .25 and .33 and there is very little activity from the team in terms of announcements – which could me they are working hard on the back end…I hope.
- 8 apartments in various cities around the world – but users can book them for free (2 nights per NFT)
- I think they are working hard to make amazing things happen – but it does have a lot of the feel of ‘If it feels too good to be true, it probably is’ so buyer beware.
- Currently minting at 516 mints out of 10001 at a mint price of .08 ETH. Floor is at 5 ETH. Holders are Diamond Handed. They are minting but it’s a slow roll
- The community is really engaged, the Discord is fun.
- Started a travel concierge service for founders this week.
Travel Toucans – https://www.traveltoucans.com/ These guys do a weekly Twitter Space focused on travel NFTs on Wednesdays – worth checking out linktr.ee/TravelToucans Travel Toucans is turning into a really useful travel community of people who help each other out with information and suggestions.
- I want to eat crow (toucan?) here and admit that I was wrong about no one buying Travel Toucans, I was excited to see my Toucans revealed and it felt like those last five took forever (the revealed at 200 sold) but it was really a short amount of time and obviously, people were buying.
- The artwork on the Travel Toucans is really good. It looks way better than 90% or more of projects out there in that all the details flow seamlessly no matter what the traits…here are mine. Check out my ski jacket toucan on the slopes with Crush (‘Dude’) on his bill. Suits me perfectly.
- Describes itself as “The next evolution in IRL NFT Utility” Island Resort Membership. Fiji Based. Resort owners, doxxed team, but expensive – I mean they want to actually buy a Fiji resort, so that makes sense. Worth having a look at this website. It’s more than I’m willing to spend (lowest tier .35 Eth) but it is a neat project with a lot of potential.
- HOLIDAO seeks to build a community of trailblazers reaping the rewards of belonging to a NFT project which owns fun and exciting income producing real estate assets. Harnessing the unique attributes of decentralized fractional ownership and Crypto, HOLIDAO is a real estate ecosystem providing fun, philanthropy and lifelong memories to its members.Initially comprising 8,000 NFT’s which will fund the purchase of an existing operational resort in Fiji. This significantly changes the profitability profile for the resort allowing for a more sustainable and collaborative model.The resort will continue to run as an existing profitable business. HOLIDAO members will receive special rewards as these profits will go back into our community. Along with FREE HOLIDAYS we plan to disperse the profits in the form of giveaways and incentives for genesis holders.The founders have a clear business plan, experience and the energy to sustain this Web3 project. We will scale, develop and grow HOLIDAO to add more IRL assets with a shared treasury and governance by the community. This should ensure an NFT project with long term price appreciation all the while providing the fun and memories of resort island holidays.
- From the website: “We Wander is a collection of unique and inclusive travel-inspired NFTs, generated from hand-drawn elements by travel blogger Anna Faustino and stored on the Ethereum Blockchain.We are on a mission to inspire people to wander and explore so they can create unforgettable memories around the world.Through our exciting Wander Quests and more, we want to help bridge IRL (in real life) travel experiences into Web3 and the Metaverse. As a community, we will be supporting various environmental charities and pioneering movements to help make an impact and make the world a better place.Wander with us on this exciting journey.”
- From the OS collection description: “The Lucky Ape Travel Club🍀 is an NFT collection that works as a collectible art piece, membership to an exclusive club with free access to properties all around the world, and invitation to our annual parties. Website unlocks and perks can be access by the community through roadmap activation.”
- 1 ETH mint price is way more than I am willing to pay, founders appear to be anon
- Some activity in Discord and on Twitter, mint is currently open.
CABIN – https://www.creatorcabins.com This is one of the coolest projects I’ve recently come across. “Our vision is to build a decentralized city for creators.Cabin is an experiment in the future of cities: decentralized physical nodes tied together by a shared culture, economy, and governance structure.”
Travala Travel Tigers – Minting now for WhiteList https://www.travala.com/nft – these guys are the OGs of paying for travel with crypto. Their initial foray into NFTs is expensive and will probably sell out before reaching the public sale – but offers some amazing benefits.
- 1000 tokens sold (773 owners) with a floor now at 3.747 (range has been 2.99 – 5 ETH since I began watching, nice volume) The benefits are pretty astounding – but still not sure if worth the cost.
Travel Tokens by Drew Binsky – https://traveltokensnft.com
- Drew got on and posted that the launch will be a in a few weeks (after months of silence) but no info on whitelist, WL mint price will reportedly be .07 and public .09.
NCL – Norwegian Cruise Line has launched their NFT collection
- Auction continues for NFT that grants stateroom on inaugural voyage of new ships Currently $3k
NFTstayy – NftStayy.com “First and only travel agency serves on Web3 and metaverse . Only travel agency accummulate income for own NFT collectors.”
- They now have NFTs that you can purchase with credit card or wire transfer but not clear what you get, what chain they are on, or anything else. On the one hand, the site/project is progressing – but I’m still not sure exactly what it is.
- Link to OpenSea leads nowhere, link to Discord in expired – I’ll keep watching but that’s all unless some clarity emerges.
- Anon team.
PNFT – Cayman’s Paradise NFT Club – https://nftcayman.com/ This is a new and novel approach to using NFTs to get discounts and invigorate travel in the Cayman Islands.
- 3.2 k minted by 116 owners with a. floor of .06 and a volume of .24 ETH total – no change.
- If I were taking a trip to the Cayman’s, I would probably mint one of these.
- 434 minted by 235 owners. Floor range has been .15-.35, currently .25 with little volume. Only 4 out of 435 for sale.
- Minting is closed.
- Founders announced first leases are signed
- Doxxed team, interesting roadmap.
The Residence DAO – http://www.theresidencedao.com/ The Residence DAO is reshaping the way people experience the world by building a portfolio of properties that NFT holders can access
- The website says minting is live, but aside from that, I can’t tell much more. Twitter has gone dormant. No OpenSea assets that I can find. Ah…from the Discord:
“Thank you again to everyone who has supported us so far. For those of you who have missed prior announcements, we have decided to refund existing holders, improve the project and relaunch in the near future. Shortly after this announcement, holders will be refunded the FULL mint price (.305 for Miami; 1.25 for Global)! Holders will not need to take any additional measures on their end; we took a snapshot of existing holders a short while ago. Moving forward, do not purchase any TRD NFTs on OpenSea. Metadata will be wiped from existing NFTs.”
- Anon team, probably would avoid anything to do with this unless I start seeing a doxxed team.
NFT Booking – https://book.nftbooking.eu/ Book all of your travel with $BOOK – Aspires to be the AirBnB of NFT/crypto travel
- No updates or announcements in Discord
- This is more of a crypto project $BK – but seems more aspirational than useful
- No team mentioned on site, I didn’t bother reading the white paper based on discord, site, and twitter activity
Lynkey – Luxury Resorts and Travel powered by Blockchain and NFTs. https://lynkey.com/
- This feels more like a crypto travel desk with an NFT project tacked on.
- 1 billion Lynkey Tokens, with ~3800 wallets
- It’s interesting and worth continuing to watch
Wanderlust Finance – https://wanderlust.finance/
- I love all the roadmap stuff here, but this seems to be a token that is promising a bunch of really cool stuff but that so far has dead links to the App Store, dead links to the minter, etc. I really want this to be what they are promising – but so far, it’s a roadmap and a token.
- Wanderlust is a Tech company developing an all in one blockchain companion application that allows users to pay for travel accommodations and experiences through a native decentralized Asset.
- Partially doxxed team, no real difference from last week to this week on the site that I can discern.
- While the twitter says that staking is live, I can’t seem to find a token contract or listed token.
Nomadz – https://twitter.com/Nomadz_NFT I won a whitelist for this project through Travel Toucans, I’m not sure I’ll use it. Friendly engaged Discord community but I’m not even really sure what they are trying to do. No website and no real laid out agenda or goals.
- Nomadz is a collection of 10 000 neo-adventurers. Owning a Nomadz NFT gives you access to a lost map with outdoor challenges. Those that prove worthy will be lead to a secret treasure! Seasonal Adventures are a set of 5 geographically-neutral seasonal adventures leading-up to rare treasure NFT artwork from selected travel photographers! Access to our 5-day Nomad Labs festival (travel documentary film festival, music festival, NFT travel photography exhibitions, workshops and lectures) Access to funding for adventures and creative travel-related projects. Access to live workshops led by some of the biggest names in the NFT photography landscape. Hidden goodies…
I’m going to be moving the following two projects to my forthcoming ‘Aloha Friday’ update which will be strictly Hawaii centric. So this will be last coverage of this project here unless they actually begin an active travel aspect.
- Announcement after a month says they are working hard, be patient
- Absolutely nothing happening here – but the mods are deleting any shills or links that show up. One of the things I do when I think a project may have been rugged or is dying is post my shills in the main channel and see how long before they get deleted – it was 12 hours on this one, so somebody is checking in. If my shills don’t get deleted, then I know that a project is dead and the creators don’t care about it.
Aloha NFT – https://alohanft.com/ – This is a physical card that is shipped to you after purchase and then yredeemed for the physical for NFT. I’People in the Discord have gotten theirs and the vibes are all positive so far.
- I received my physical card and used the QR code on the back to claim my NFT. I was a little disappointed that it’s in a proprietary blockchain wallet, but there does seem to be a way to export it to ETH/Polygon main net – though I haven’t done that yet.
- Not much happening here. Discord is low energy but positive.
Travel Photography Collections
This section will grow over time
Where My Vans Go https://opensea.io/collection/where-my-vans-go
Atomic Photography – https://opensea.io/collection/atomic-photography
Where My Vanagon Goes https://opensea.io/collection/where-my-vanagon-goes– I launched my 33 piece collection earlier this week. I was formerly one of the top rated tour guides on the island of Oahu and each NFT in this collection, allows the owner to book a tour with me in my Vanagon (named 3V or #V Wonder) – terms are that me and Vanagon have to be present and operational – so it’s a little informal but considering that my tours were generally $500-$1300 when I was doing them – there is some serious value in buying one of these for .01 ETH and it is the only way to book a tour with me in Hawaii. Plus – this really is a love letter to both Oahu and Vanagon’s so it’s a pretty cool piece to own.
Each holder of my "Where My Vanagon Goes" #NFTs is entitled to a 3-hour tour on the island of #Oahu, #Hawaii in my Vanagon – a real world utility that far exceeds the purchase cost. Utility exists for as long as I am here and 3V Wonder is still operational and owned by me. #NFT https://t.co/Qls8YBkLuh
— CD | Vagobond.eth (@vagobond) April 11, 2022
Beautiful Cities of the World https://opensea.io/collection/beautiful-cities-trey-ratcliff
Food & Beverage NFTs:
This is such a huge category it really should be a separate beat. I’ll work on that.
Rare Pizzas / Pizza Dao – http://rarepizzas.com
- It all started with Laszlo, 10k Bitcoin, and two pizzas. Now, 11 years later, pizzaDAO is throwing a global pizza party in his honor.
- On Bitcoin Pizza Day in 2021, we spent over $300,000 at more than 300 pizzerias in over 60 countries to throw the World Largest Pizza Party Ever.
- Our mission: Pizza, the formation of Spaceship Earth’s largest pizzaiolo community, the digitization of all the world’s pizza knowledge, and the creation of the open source francheese Open Pizza!
Bored Breakfast Club – Coffee delivered by virtue of owning this NFT. No shipping costs. Great coffee. https://www.boredbreakfastclub.com/
- Second coffee sent.
- Third coffee claim fully funded by community (secondary sales, etc)
- Blend Two reserve sale is live at https://www.boredbreakfastclub.com/product/greasy-spoon
Maison Moon – https://maisonmoon.io/ Maison Moon is a collection of 10,000 uniquely generated premium whisky bottles that will age on the blockchain before reaching your home. As a token holder, you will be able to claim your physical bottle once the final finishing period is over. Your token will also double as a Maison Moon membership that will give you access to fine spirits private sales, exciting air drops and more..
TV Foodmaps – http://www.tvfoodmaps.com/ Can TV Foodmaps translate a successful website into a successful NFT?
Flyfish Club –https://www.flyfishclub.com Gary Vee and Partners NFT club sushi restaurant in NYC
Floor for these is around 3.14 Eth with 1.3k owners (down from 5 ETH )
- Flyfish Club (FFC) is the world’s first member’s only private dining club where membership is purchased on the blockchain as a Non-Fungible-Token (NFT) and owned by the token-holder to gain access to our restaurant and various culinary, cultural and social experiences.
Delectibles by FoodMasku – One man’s quest to make masks from the food he eats
Vagobond’s Recent NFT Acquisitions
I’m not minting anything these days unless it’s either free and gasless or an essential part of a collection I already hold. I feel like pfps and generative 10k collections have come as far as they can and now it’s the established winners in this space that will give us something new. Possibly like what BAYC is doing with $APE or BYO is doing with their universe. I don’t know – but I’m watching for it and looking for opportunities to either take profits or increase my stake in projects that I think might bring about the next wave of innovation. At this point, it’s safe to assume that every new project is either a rug or a future failure. There are just too many unknowns and too many scams. Blue chip projects and solid teams are the safest bet – but even something like BAYC has an uncertain future in a space that has only developed over the past year.
- These two Peaceful Groupies drops were either free or bought with $PEACE token:
- EndGame was free for holders of Look Labs Passes – I have zero expectations on either of these (LL or EG)https://opensea.io/assets/0x9d7caf9ff78b1edad4500bccfb8e52ffc15dafce/335
News & Alpha
* ALPHA * – The Vagobond Discord is one of the best free alpha servers around. You might see it in this briefing, but you’ll definitely see it in the Alpha channel of our discord first.
- This is a fascinating look at who makes up Crypto Twitter (Spoiler, 36 year old male tech workers and Doge loving sports fans)
- Binance mistakenly changes logo to a Swastika on Hitler’s Birthday – oops.
- Tron to Launch Native Stablecoin in May
- $LOOKS pumped yesterday on the intro of Looks Rewards: https://docs.looksrare.org/blog/looksrare-listing-rewards-list-nfts-earn-looks
- Rumor is that BAYC/MAYC will have free claim and the NFTs in the promo video will have an automatic WL. As with most things YL, little is actually known for certain.
- Peaceful Groupies announced today that their $PEACE Liquidity Pool is already set and running! They filled it with 25 ETH + 1,000,000 $PEACE from our treasury, and now you’re free to buy, sell and trade $PEACE.
- Coinbase NFT Officially Launches Marketplace Beta
- Pixel Vault/Metahero continues to be on hold but with positive action in the background. Rumor is facemelt coming next week, but I want it NOW!
👀First peek concept of the HUXLEY Bazaar👀
Buy, sell, trade, connect.
— HUXLEY™ (@huxleysaga) April 21, 2022
- Tom Bileyu’s Impact Theory is doing a generative avatar project Kyzen – watch for drops and free claims on Twitter.
- One Day Bae – my favorite NFT project of all time is building a p2e game and like everything ODB had done – it is different than anything else out there. I’m considering going deep in this ecosystem – and the bonus of that is that it’s not an expensive ecosystem to go deep in. Take a few minutes and read this Medium post from them: https://medium.com/@onedaybae/one-day-bae-project-time-to-get-to-know-each-other-21382b2aaf32
Introducing one of the rarest in-game items
in the Danger Islands P2E Blockchain game
THE GHOST PIRATE 👻🏴☠️
Ghosts can target any other tribe with a tax on the tribes earnings
Find out more in our gitbookhttps://t.co/aFW8RULlv1
— Lazer Labs (@LazerLabs) April 21, 2022
- **Serious Alpha** I’m going to be tokenizing and distributing my startup corporation to holders of Bald Jesus and Vagobond NFTs. Iwahai, Inc. is a Delaware C Corporation and the owner of VoiceMarkr which can be found in the the Apple and Android app stores. VoiceMarkr is a voice centered social media and communications platform which will be owned and developed further by the community – so if you want to be a part of it – you should join the Vagobond Discord ASAP.
- Where My Vanagon Goes – A Hawaii Based NFT with IRL Utility
- I’m going to continue publishing this briefing as an NFT through ReadMe books. This is highly experimental and I will only be creating 3 copies of each unless they begin to sell out on a regular basis. Here are the first three of them:
The First NFT/Metaverse Religion- Bald Jesusism
Ramadan continues and I have to admit, I haven’t been fasting the whole time. A combination of travel, illness, and life events have impeded my willingness to fast – so I may be to blame for no free money drops so far in April. The Full Moon Holiday took place on April 16th and our Christian Frens had Easter yesterday! Now, don’t get confused between Bald Jesus and the Christian Jesus – not the same dude but just like we love the Ramadan fast in BJism, we also love the idea of renewal, rebirth, and saving the entire world. The Bald Jesus Drinking Club continues to mint – so make sure you grab one.
The holidays of Bald Jesusism are meant to be fun and healthy for you and your fam. Enjoy them!
https://www.baldjesusdrinkingclub.com – Minting Now!- for Bald Jesus Drinking Club
.04 ETH limited to 777 total
Holy Bjble – AB version – Readable on OS! Only .001 ETH on Polygon so no gas
Bald Jesus is Your Bro! Don’t Be a Dick
I periodically move all of this to the NFT 101 page on Vagobond.com https://vagobond.com/nft-101/
Yuga Labs BAYC Land drop
10KTF $NTD drop & BYO $TRYP drop
Gutter Juice ‘Clone’ reveals
Art Heads – I won a free mint of this project, so I’m watching for the mint.
Evmos Punks – The failure of the Evmos Chain the first go around is not promising – but since they learn as they go – this is still a great project to be watching for iteration and innovation.
Great Projects I’m Not In or Following:
aka projects I missed and am salty about. There are too many – see the whole list at:
Missed in April: Moon Birds, Murakami Flowers, Seeds – and so much more. I’m in full JOMO ‘Joy of Missing Out’ mode.
Tokens & Staking
These are the tokens and crypto/defi projects that NFTs have led me to. Bizarre when you think about it. See the full list at here
These are projects that I wanted to believe in that simply seem like they are dead. I bought into many of these instead of the winning projects above. Take that as a warning. I sincerely hope that they resurrect – but when I put them here, it means that I’ve stopped believing and looking. I hope to someday have a section at the top called ‘Resurrections’ for when projects in the Graveyard manage to rise up again. As time goes on, I have no doubt this will be the biggest section of this newsletter and I will let it keep growing so that those who care to look can understand that the majority of projects fail and investors lose money. Pick wisely, my friends, and good luck!
Newly Buried: These aren’t dead projects but projects I’ve lost hope in exiting profitably. I’m not selling any of these but am tired of watching them fail to deliver. I hope they all resurrect and prove me wrong.
See the huge full list at https://vagobond.com/nft-101/nft-project-graveyard/
Features – Just click on the image to read the latest!